Column

When you bet on sports, the odds aren’t in your favor

Zoe Silverman | Contributing Illustrator

Sports betting has taken enjoyment out of the game, placing economic and emotional burdens on sports fans, our columnist writes.

To support student journalism and the content you love, become a member of The Daily Orange today.

Gambling has become so normalized that DraftKings offered a “Never Forget” parlay on Monday, which involved a series of bets on New York sports teams. The tone-deaf move from the betting conglomerate is a sign of a worrying culture of gambling plaguing sports fans.

The stories that sports naturally creates cannot be scripted; that’s what draws in the minds and hearts of Americans everywhere. Cathartic explosions of triumph or agonizing despairs of defeat strike the hearts of fans nationwide when they watch their favorite teams.

But when money is in the mix, these stories lose their impact. The stakes are raised to levels that make it difficult to enjoy watching a game, and it’s almost impossible to get through one without being asked to bet through advertisements or seeing betting lines on the bottom of the screen during play. Favorite teams and players are thrown to the wayside in favor of dollar signs.

Before covering the downsides of sports betting specifically, it’s important to understand why gambling is so alluring in itself, especially to college students, who bet for a number of reasons. Some are benign, like seeking excitement or building social connections. But others gamble on sports because of addiction or to pursue it as a profession. According to the National Council on Problem Gambling, around 2 million Americans meet the criteria for severe gambling.

Arlo Stone | Digital Design Director

Despite objections from many sports betting “pundits,” there’s no such thing as “free money” when it comes to betting. Sports are fun for their unpredictable nature, so you can’t guarantee that a bet will hit no matter what you hear from influencers and advertisements. Even after a big win, sports bettors play a dangerous game. When betting becomes a must, either to make money or to fuel addiction, the results will falter in the long run because of how volatile the practice is. It’s unwise to rely on money that might not be there.

For example, on Monday Night Football, new Jets quarterback Aaron Rodgers had a line of 234.5 passing yards. Before the game, betting that he would throw more than that figure was at -115, meaning major companies believed it was likely to happen. Instead, the New York QB went down with an injury before throwing a single pass, and he would not return. Some fans cared about the 39-year old’s wellbeing, but most of the attention turned to bets placed.

The powerhouse market of sports gambling has infiltrated sports media corporations as well. Recently, ESPN signed a $2 billion deal with Penn Entertainment to create ESPN Bet, a brand new sports book. This puts the prospect of putting money on sports in front of millions of eyes, and thus normalizes betting culture.

Ultimately, we watch sports for a unifying experience, not as a must for physical and mental wellbeing. The Mayo Clinic identifies some worrying symptoms of a gambling addiction, including lying, irritability, using gambling as a coping mechanism, excessive borrowing and damaged relationships. The odds are not in your favor when you gamble on sports.

By no means am I trying to shame those who place a bet on a game. Nowadays, it’s hard not to get sucked in by the sports gambling market. Some of the first links that appear when you enter the term “sports betting” into Google are DraftKings and Caesars offering huge deals for placing your first bet.

Tactics like these are gravitating; it’s hard to pass up on a seemingly free profit from your first bet. But you should use careful discretion, read the fine print and understand exactly what each promotion is offering.

Sports betting is not just a matter of winning or losing money, but a matter of mental health. The industry has expanded to the point where fans with legitimate gambling addictions can’t even watch without threatening their well-being.

If you or a loved one find yourself in what you think may be a gambling addiction, there is help available. The National Problem Gambling Hotline can be reached at 1-800-522-4700. It is completely confidential, and talking with someone might be the help you need. Additional resources are listed by the National Council on Problem Gambling.

Jish Sokolsky is a sophomore ​​broadcast and digital journalism major. His column appears biweekly. He can be reached at jasokols@g.syr.edu.